Monday, September 20, 2010

Time On Mat

Does a year go by fast or what?!  What a glorious experience it is.  From first class, to now, its been a little bit of pain, pleasure, fun, joy, relief, sadness, and a wide degree of emotion.  The officially the log says I reached 100+ classes, unofficially, I am close to 140-200 classes, I do privates and more than third of the time , I did not bother to swipe.

Where I was, Where I am, Where I want to be...

Where I was, I very little skill and also any type of speed, strength and agility.  I remember rolling with bart for the first time ever, He kicked my butt 500 different ways....  Only later did I learn that nearly everyone that happens to.

Where I am.... last month I been only averaging about 2 classes a week,  life, weather, and just the feeling of being burned out gets to me.  I am not a professional athlete of any sorts, I have a career.  Last week I went back to 3-4 classes,  I started weight training and that is helping a lot, I just want to be in better health so I can enjoy my life more.  

Where I want to be,  I want to lose the last 40 lbs.  This next year, is going all be about just improving my bjj overall.  I have a lot to learn, but now I have a better chance than I had when I first started.  I want to make my guard great.  Its what I pull people to, just to practice, it does get passed often, but I take the guard position just to learn more about it.   I often try new things from guard to force myself to learn.

In other news,  I will be testing for blue belt this week.  It will be 2 1/2 years total as a white belt ( 1 1/2 years under a different style of jiu jitsu) ... Its been a long time.   Very nervous about the test! Wish me luck!


 

1 comment:

  1. I'm in the same position. I'm starting my second year at BJJ as a green (white) belt, and I want to step things up with movement drills and really focus on eating better...kinda hard with work amping up though.

    Congrats on the blue belt!

    ReplyDelete